Get daily, The Hindu latest news updates & news headlines in English from The Tutors Academy.
- Assam government has released the second and final draft of the state’s NRC.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) contains names of Indian citizens of Assam. The NRC was prepared in 1951, after 1951 Census of India
- Draft of National Register of Citizens (NRC) was published on July 30.
- A Press Communique [issued in Shimla] says: The increasing pressure on Telegraph service due to the expansion in traffic and the inability of the department to meet this expansion owing to the shortage in material and staff, have led the Government of India to decide that as further means of relieving the pressure on the department the tariff for ordinary inland private telegrams, should be increased from eight annas for a telegram of 12 words or less, with half an anna for every additional word, to a uniform rate of one anna a word with a minimum of 12 annas, and that the rate for express telegrams should be raised from one rupee for 12 words or less with two annas for every additional word, to a uniform rate of two annas a word with minimum of Rs. 1-8-0. (The Hindu latest news updates and current affairs, to crack all competitive exams like NDA, CDs, and Navy easily with The Tutors Academy).
- Rajasthan has become the first State in the country to implement the national policy on biofuels unveiled by the Centre in May this year.
- The policy on biofuels seeks to help farmers dispose of their surplus stock in an economic manner and reduce the country’s oil import dependence.
- Top 3 imports and exports among agricultural commodities in last 4 years:
Vegetable oils – 42694 ($mn) – 48.6%
Pulses – 13841 ($mn) – 15.7%
Fresh Fruits – 6875 ($mn) – 7.8%
Marine Products: 16190 ($mn) – 16.6%
Buffalo meat – 12774 ($mn) – 11.8%
Basmati Rice – 11218 ($mn) – 10.8%
- Former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been chosen for this year’s Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award for promoting communal harmony and peace. The award carries a citation and a cash award of ₹10 lakh.
- This is the 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award
- Former recipients of the award include Mother Teresa, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Mohammed Yunus, Lata Mangeshkar, Sunil Dutt, Dilip Kumar, Kapila Vatsyayan, Teesta Setalvad, Swami Agnivesh, K.R. Narayanan, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Muzaffar Ali and Shubha Mudgal.
Study daily, The Hindu latest news updates and current affairs with The Tutors Academy.
- The Modi administration on Tuesday appointed senior diplomat and now India’s Ambassador to Ireland, Vijay Thakur Singh, as Secretary (East) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Singh will take over as Secretary from October 1 after superannuation of Preeti Saran on September 30
- Tata Motors has reported a consolidated net loss of ₹1,863 crore for the first quarter ended June 30, 2018, as compared to net profit of ₹3,199 crore in the same period last year owing to losses at its cash cow Jaguar Land Rover (JLR).
- Core industrial growth accelerated in June to 6.7% on the back of a surge in the petroleum products and steel sectors.
- Petroleum products saw 12.06% growth in June 2018, up from 4.94% in May
- The steel sector also witnessed significant acceleration in growth to 4.42% from 0.7% in May.
- Growth in the coal sector slowed to 11.5% in June from 12.16% in May
- The crude oil and natural gas sectors both contracted, by 3.4% and 2.74%, respectively, in June.
- Fertilizers saw growth slowing sharply in June to 0.93% from 8.44% in May
- Growth in the cement sector touched 13.18% in June, up from 12.99% in May.
- Mauritius-based SBM Group (State Bank of Mauritius) has received Reserve Bank of India approval to operate in the country through a wholly owned subsidiary — the first foreign lender to receive such a licence after local incorporation was introduced in 2013.
- SBM, which has been in India since 1994, currently operates through four branches, in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Ramachandrapuram. It plans to open six new branches in Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad and Jaipur by next year.
- Bank of India posted an 8.5% rise in net profit at ₹95.11 crore for the quarter ended June 30. (The Hindu latest news updates).
- An international arbitration tribunal has rejected the Indian government’s claim of $1.55 billion against Reliance Industries and its partners (Reliance, BP & Niko (consortium)) for allegedly siphoning gas from deposits they had no right to exploit.
- The panel headed by Singapore-based arbitrator Lawrence Boo rejected the government’s demand that Reliance and its partners BP plc. of U.K. and Canada’s Niko Resources pay for “unfairly” producing natural gas belonging to State-owned ONGC.
- RHI Magnesita, a leading global supplier of refractory products, systems and services based in the U.K., has decided to consolidate its Indian operations under Orient Refractories Limited
- Refractories are non-metallic materials having those chemical and physical properties that make them applicable for structures, or as components of systems, that are exposed to environments above 1,000 °F (811 K; 538 °C).” Refractory materials are used in furnaces, kilns, incinerators, and reactors.
- The Centre issued a notification putting into effect a safeguard duty of 25% on import of solar cells from China and Malaysia between July 30, 2018, and July 29, 2019
- The duty reduces to 20% for six months from July 30, 2019, and further to 15% in the subsequent half year.
- Cybersecurity firm Symantec Corporation has opened a Security Operations Center (SOC) in Chennai.
- The North Delhi Mayor inaugurated a sanitary napkin vending machine at R.M. Arya Girls Senior Secondary School in Connaught Place. A release issued by the North Corporation said the machine was installed by the CSR Foundation, which works in the area of women’s health, in association with the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
- Things to remember
- Meghalaya Chief Minister and National People’s Party president – Conrad K. Sangma
- CM of Assam – Sarbananda Sonowal
- Chief Election Commissioner of India – O.P. Rawat
- Chief Justice of India – Dipak Misra
- The 15th and current Attorney General is K. K. Venugopal. He was appointed by Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India at that time. He was formally appointed as with effect from 30 June 2017 and shall have a tenure of 3 years.
- Attorney General of India – K. K. Venugopal
- CITU general secretary – Tapan Kumar Sen
- CITU President – K.Hemalata
- CITU – Centre of Indian Trade Unions, CITU is a National level Trade Union in India politically affiliated to the Communist Party of India (Marxist) as its trade union wing and is a spearhead of the Indian Trade Union Movement.
- President of Syria – Bashar al-Assad
- South Korean President – Moon Jae-in
- First store of wallmart in India was setup in Punjab in 2009
- Improve your Vocabulary:
- Apprise – inform or tell (someone).
Synonyms: inform, notify, tell, advise, brief, intimate, enlighten
Study daily, The Hindu latest current affairs and news headlines, To crack all exams of NDA and CDS easily with us.